poudriere: reduce the number of rebuilt packages?

Karel Miklav karel at lovetemple.net
Sun Jan 11 22:38:13 UTC 2015

On 04.01.2015 18:24, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> On 02.01.2015 12:03, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
>> I've recently switched from portmaster to poudriere/'pkg upgrade' to
>> manage my port updates. Basically it works fine, but incremental
>> builds don't quite work as I expected.
>>
>> poudriere rebuilds all packages if any dependency has changed. If
>> there are only some ports with new versions, possibly hundreds of
>> packages are rebuilt. So far it looks like I'll end up rebuilding
>> packages like libreoffice/KDE/chromium several times a week. The
>> rebuilt packages won't even be installed by 'pkg upgrade' because
>> their version number has not changed.
>
> Here's an actual example from today.
>
> There are new versions for three ports. poudriere will rebuild 70
> ports, 67 of them will never be installed on the host.
>
> Checking packages for incremental rebuild needed
> Deleting cups-client-1.7.3_3.txz: new version: 1.7.3_4

Same story here.  On each ports update Poudriere churns couple of days,
mostly wasting time on some version of the damn webkit. Then on pkg
update a couple of insignificant ports are updated.

It's easy to fix version check in Poudriere, but I haven't decided to
dig out the corresponding lines in pkg to match them.

Will there be some option in Poudriere for this?

Regards,
Karel