reason 23 why we've moved to linux

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 23 00:18:19 UTC 2014

On 22/03/2014 23:15, Royce Williams wrote:
> To this day, I still have an 8.3 jail that complains:
>
>     pkg: PACKAGESITE in pkg.conf is deprecated. Please create a
> repository configuration file
>
> ... but I don't actually have a pkg.conf in that jail, and 'grep -r
> PACKAGESITE /' yields no hits.

It will complain in this manner if PACKAGESITE is defined in the
environment.

Yes, the message should be clearer about what exactly is wrong and what
to do about it.

> And why tell someone to create a file, without including a recommended
> path?  Or better yet ... check to see if I already had one, and prompt
> me to create one if I don't?

So you mean you've already got a repository.conf file?  I which case the
error message is really inappropriate.  All I can say is that the
message dates from when the switch from pkg.conf to the
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ directory was first introduced and assumes you
have an old style setup which needs to be updated.

PACKAGESITE support in pkg.conf has been dropped entirely in 1.3 which
is in alpha at the moment.  I need to double check, but that should mean
those error messages will go away too.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--