USE_PYTHON version range no longer valid?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 15 20:24:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:47:24PM -0700, Mike Brown wrote:
> A port I maintain (sorta) can only be built under Python 2.2.1 through 2.4.x.
> The app isn't being developed any longer, so patches to get it to build under
> 2.5+ aren't likely to be forthcoming.
>
> The port Makefile previously had USE_PYTHON= 2.2-2.4, but it was changed this
> week to simply USE_PYTHON=2, with this comment:
>
>   Python cleanup:
>   - USE_PYTHON* = 2.X -> USE_PYTHON* = 2
>   - USE_PYTHON* = 2.X+ -> USE_PYTHON* = yes
>   Reviewed by:	python (mva, rm)
>   Approved by:	portmgr-lurkers (mat)

That means that port should either be removed from the ports tree, or one should
fork it and port it to newer version of python.

Python 2.4- are EOLed upstream for long, we are respecting upstream, so there
nothing more we can do about it.

regards,
Bapt