Ports marked IGNORE

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 15:35:08 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > While running "portupgrade -a", I found the following ports were marked
> as
> > IGNORE:
> >
> >         - print/acroread9 (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - ftp/linux-f10-curl (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - textproc/linux-f10-expat (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - security/linux-f10-gnutls (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - security/linux-f10-libgcrypt (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - textproc/linux-f10-libxml2 (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - security/linux-f10-nss (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - net/linux-f10-openldap (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - security/linux-f10-openssl (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - graphics/linux-f10-png (marked as IGNORE)
> >         - graphics/linux-f10-tiff (marked as IGNORE)
> >
> > Are there any plains to update/correct these programs?
>
> Not those, they are part of really ancient linux packages which
> provide part of a linux emulation environment. f10 == Fedora 10.
>
> Here is more info on the state of the linux emu, there is
> work being done to update it to fedora 19 or 20, centos 6 or 7
> and some more recent linux-kernel emulation (even for 64bit linux).
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201407DevSummit/LinuxEmulation
>
> > Also, what is suppose
> > to replace "print/acroread9"? I need that program or something that works
> > similar to it.
>
> Acrobat itself no longer supports acroread9, and 10+11 are not
> provided for linux anymore. So: It's a real issue, and I know no
> solution.
>
> I use xpdf for most PDF stuff. There are other PDF display programs
> but as far as I understand, most use the same core (poppler).
>
> There is graphics/mupdf, which probably uses a different core, maybe
> it does what you need ?
>
> --
> pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         6 years to
> go !

For several years I have been using evince for PDF display. It's MUCH
lighter weight than Acrobat and works very well. It is poppler based and
will probably pull in a LOT of Gnome stuff, so it is best if you already
run Gnome, MATE, or have ports installed that have already pulled in the
main Gnome2 libraries.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com