WANT_PHP_WEB is just a synonym for WANT_PHP_CGI in automated build environments

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Sun Aug 3 15:48:42 UTC 2014

On Aug 3, 2014, at 02:07 , Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn at magemana.nl> wrote:

> I don't see the problem.
> If you want the mod_php module in your port set WANT_PHP_MOD.
> If you don't care which implementation it is as long as it can speak
> with a webserver, you set WANT_PHP_WEB.
>
> The WANT_PHP_WEB knob is for >port maintainers< that trust the
> system administrators that use the PHP software will know what suits
> them most.
>
> For automated builds use the OPTIONS framework. Tinderbox can handle
> that just fine.

Right, and I’m speaking from the perspective of the admin building the port, not the maintainer.  The maintainer can set that the port will work with either .. but in an automated build environment it looks like there is no knob for the administrator to tell the ports system which to use.  The ports system will default to the CGI port unless the module port is already built .. but an automated build environment will only build and install explicitly requested dependencies.  Thus, in an automated build environment, WANT_PHP_WEB means WANT_PHP_CGI.

Again.. unless I’m missing some knob that exists to give guidance to the ports system.   I’m familiar with the options framework, but I can’t find anything in bsd.php.mk that could be used to give guidance to the ports system that mod_php5 is desired when WANT_PHP_WEB is defined.