portupgrade failed: Kino

Joe Altman freebsd at chthonixia.net
Tue Jan 15 13:11:43 UTC 2013

Hi, Waitman...

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:36:49PM -0800, Waitman Gobble wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I have looked at the port,
>
> The error you posted mentions 1.3.4_12 .. i'm not 100% if this is
> referencing the OLD version you are upgrading FROM or the version it is
> trying to build. (?) but from your output it does appear to be building
> port revision 1.3.4_12

Ah, jeez; this now seems to be a hunt for the fabled Snipe. I was under
the impression that the latest build was a truly new version; but
Freshports, as of December 11 2012, says:

## SVN ## Exported commit - http://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/308713
## SVN ## CVS IS DEPRECATED: http://wiki.freebsd.org/CvsIsDeprecated
## SVN ##
## SVN ##--------------------------------------------------------------
## SVN ## r308713 | beech | 2012-12-11 20:54:22 +0000 (Tue, 11 Dec 2012) | 4 lines
## SVN ##
## SVN ## - Bump port after ImageMagick update
## SVN ## - Remove version
## SVN ## - Bump PORTREVISION

I did not think to look at Freshports prior to opening a report; but at
this point (and after reviewing the dates on the patches you mention,
below) I'd say the "new" version is not a new version at all.

> The latest revision of the port is 1.3.4_13, it appears that the
> libraw1394 situation was resolved in files/patch-configure.in,
> files/patch-src__ieee1394io.cc and files/patch-src__ieee1394io.h
> This eliminates the ffmpeg/kino problem. BUT I can't say how great the
> program works.. Although I can get it to compile I have not run
> it. kino without ffmpeg might suck. (?)

What puzzled me was that heretofore Kino had no support for firewire on
FreeBSD[1]. I assumed that, perhaps, the inclusion of firewire code in
the "new" version was some sort of mistake or, if included because
firewire now worked on FreeBSD, there was a bug.

In retrospect, I suppose I should have looked at Freshports? But I
honestly did not know nor think that the switch to SVN was the source of
the "new" version. In fact, I'm not sure if that is what the SVN message
means; it may refer only to ImageMagick. Sigh.

As things stand now, Kino seems fine; and I don't recall if ffmpeg was
on in the config options for previous versions. I'll need a few more
days to see how it performs.

Best regards,

Joe

[1] libraw code and firewire capture is for Linux, AFAIK. But you
    probably know that.