Problem with nvidia-driver and "X" after upgrade

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 10:52:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 01:45:48 +0200
Michal Varga articulated:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 18:51 -0400, Carmel wrote:
>
> > I found the problem. I had downloaded the source files for BSD a few
> > days ago; however, I never rebuild the kernel or world. When the
> > nvidia driver got rebuild it was evidently using those new files. I
> > got the answer while Googling. When trying to manually load the
> > driver, I received this error message:
> >
> > kldload: can't load nvidia: Exec format error
> >
> > Evidently, this is a known phenomena with the nvidia-driver.
>
> This is a known phenomena with everything when having your OS sources
> and your live OS out of sync.

Define "everything" Obviously, not everything suffers from this
problem. In fact, lacking proof otherwise, I would tend to believe that
this is a niche problem.

> > So, after rebuild World/Kernel and installing same and then
> > rebuilding the nvidia-driver, all is well again.
> >
> > Now, in my not so humble opinion, there should be some sort of
> > warning in the driver dialog, or at least in the port description
> > that warns of this behavior. It could have save3d me several hours
> > of needless searching. Hours that I will never get back. :)
> >

> Nvdia-driver is a driver, a kernel module so to say. You built the
> driver against kernel sources that are different from your live
> kernel. You got a driver that will work with kernel corresponding to
> those sources. What kind of "warning" would you be expecting there
> and what purpose would it serve?

This is the first time I have seen this phenomena occur. A warning when
the drive starts, or should I say tries to start, that there is a
mismatch would have been nice. I was not aware that the driver had been
rebuild and therefore wasted valuable time tracking down the problem.
Even the warning that I received when manually attempting to load the
driver was not displayed when booting up, unless it flew past the
screen faster than I could view it, nor was it listed in the system
log. The Xorg log simply stated it couldn't load the module, which is
in itself a start. I am assuming that if the module cannot give a proper
reason for its failure to load then the Xorg log really has nothing to
log. That is just an unproven assumption though.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny at hotmail.com