Problem with nvidia-driver and "X" after upgrade

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 23:45:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 18:51 -0400, Carmel wrote:

> I found the problem. I had downloaded the source files for BSD a few
> days ago; however, I never rebuild the kernel or world. When the nvidia
> driver got rebuild it was evidently using those new files. I got the
> answer while Googling. When trying to manually load the driver, I
> received this error message:
>
> kldload: can't load nvidia: Exec format error
>
> Evidently, this is a known phenomena with the nvidia-driver.

This is a known phenomena with everything when having your OS sources
and your live OS out of sync.

> So, after rebuild World/Kernel and installing same and then rebuilding
> the nvidia-driver, all is well again.
>
> Now, in my not so humble opinion, there should be some sort of warning
> in the driver dialog, or at least in the port description that warns of
> this behavior. It could have save3d me several hours of needless
> searching. Hours that I will never get back. :)

Nvdia-driver is a driver, a kernel module so to say. You built the
driver against kernel sources that are different from your live kernel.
You got a driver that will work with kernel corresponding to those
sources. What kind of "warning" would you be expecting there and what
purpose would it serve?

m.

--
Michal Varga,