saving a few ports from death

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Wed Apr 27 15:02:43 UTC 2011

Quoth Eric on Wednesday, 27 April 2011:
> > From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk>
> > Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:14:41 +0100
> > To: <freebsd-ports at freebsd.org>
> > Subject: Re: saving a few ports from death
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 03:55:56PM -0700, Charlie Kester wrote:
> >>
> >> My search for "popularity" metrics is intended to point me, as a
> >> maintainer, to ports I might want to adopt now, rather than wait for
> >> someone to complain about them.  Everything *I* use is already
> >> maintained, so I've moved on to looking for things other people might
> >> need.  But I don't want to waste my time on something that nobody uses.
> >> :)
> >
> > Interesting..
> >
> > I used this sh(1) script to find
> > unmaintained ports that I use.
> > (I couldn't find a way to do the
> > job with the existing tools like
> > pkg_info or portmaster):
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > prefix=/usr/ports/
> > makefile=/Makefile
> >
> > for file in `pkg_info -oxa | grep "/"`
> > do
> >         yes=`grep MAIN ${prefix}${file}${makefile} | grep ports`
> >         if [ -n "$yes" ]
> >         then
> >                 echo $file
> >         fi
> > done
> >

> [SNIP]
>
> Small observation, since that script picks up all of us who use 'ports' in
> our maintainer email addresses (myself for example), might I suggest the
> following tweak to your script (full address and checking for file
> existence):
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> prefix=/usr/ports/
> makefile=/Makefile
>
> for file in `pkg_info -oxa | grep "/"`
> do
>  if test -f ${prefix}${file}${makefile}
>  then
>   yes=`grep MAIN ${prefix}${file}${makefile} | grep -i 'ports at freebsd\.org'`
>   if [ -n "$yes" ]
>   then
>    echo $file
>   fi
>  fi
> Done

Good catch -- even with that change, my list has 57 ports in it
(including, ironically, sysutils/bsdstats).  A lot of the ones on my list
are requirements for other ports, though.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterling at camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com