math/blas linking to gfortran with LDADD?= -lgfortran

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 1 05:27:52 UTC 2010

On 9/1/10, jhell <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 00:58, b. f. wrote:
>> No, it will still take effect, after the math/blas Makefile is parsed,
>> unless _WITHOUT_SRCCONF is defined.  See bsd.own.mk.
>
> ports(7) pulls in src.conf ??? I hope I am not understanding this right...

In this case, yes.  Because math/blas is one of a few ports that takes
advantage of some base system makefiles to construct binaries and
libraries.  It's an old port (the software was written in the 70's and
it was introduced to Ports in Oct. 1994, just a few months after the
Ports repository was created), and since the needed machinery had just
been constructed in the base system (this was back in the days when
Fortran was still in the base system, and HPC was one of the key
applications), they just used that machinery, rather than reinventing
the wheel.  But that means that, since it uses base system makefiles,
it has inevitably been subject to some of the conventions and
constructs of the base system (the latest change being the userland
dtrace project, which has injected a lot of ctf stuff into the
makefiles in -CURRENT), as well as those of Ports.  That's not
altogether bad (they influence one another, as jhell's problem with an
absence of profiling libraries reminds us), but it has to be handled
properly.

b.