portlocate updated

Anders F Björklund afb at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 19 11:28:23 UTC 2010

Hi freebsd ports,

I updated my ruby program called "portlocate"
to use Ferret rather than Xapian like before:

http://www.algonet.se/~afb/freebsd/portlocate.rb

The program works the same as before, but doesn't
need Xapian which was reoccuringly broken (and GPL).
The main part of Ferret is in C but there is a pure
Ruby version too, if needed (it's a port of Lucene):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/textproc/rubygem-ferret/

I was originally hoping for it to get included in
pkgtools, but since those aren't maintained anymore
it should probably be made into a Ruby module too ?
So that it can be included from PackageKit, that is.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ruby/2009-September/000107.html

One nice thing about Ferret, besides the MIT license,
is that the database is smaller. It's a little slower.

--anders