portlocate program

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Sep 20 21:27:24 UTC 2009

Hi pkgtools maintainers,

I made a ruby program that I called "portlocate":
(since portsearch and variants were taken already)

http://www.algonet.se/~afb/freebsd/portlocate.rb

It updates and searches an extra database with the
*full* details of each port, for fast searching.
You pass some search terms, and you get matching
ports in order of relevance (best matches first).

It uses the Ruby bindings to the Xapian database,
but has a --slow fallback if those are missing...

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/databases/xapian-bindings/

The intended use is for the Search Details feature
of PackageKit, where it cuts the search time from
5-15 seconds down to 1 second consistently here -
and additionally it returns the best matches first.

I think it would make a good addition to portupgrade,
but it could also be deployed separately of course ?

--anders