Solutions for the PR load problem

Sahil Tandon sahil at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 14 00:09:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 18:13:57 +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

> On 09/07/2010 23:56, Shaun Amott wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 10:51:01PM +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> >> So if I set up a private tinderbox and provide amd64 and i386
> >> 6-/7-/8-stable logs with every PR I submit it would hasten the
> >> processing of my PRs?
> >>
> >> If that is so, I'll get me a small quad-core with ~16GB RAM
> >> and a huge hard disk just for this purpose (my largest hard disk
> >> is the one in my notebook, not sufficient for all the distfiles
> >> and packages).
> >
> > Sure, I would be more likely to look at / commit your patches in a
> > timely fashion if you've done part of the work for me. I'm pretty sure
> > it helped back when I was submitting lots of ports PRs.
>
> I ordered the machine last weekend. It won't run 24/7 or be remotely
> accessible, but when I get comfortable with the process, I can
> start testing other PRs and attach links to the test logs.
>
> I think this is about as helpful as I can afford get at the moment.
>
> On a side note, I only bought 8GB RAM, because of the ridiculous
> pricing. I'll have to pay as much as I paid a couple of months
> ago for the same amount for my notebook.

FWIW, a number of porters (myself included) use tinderbox within a
virtual FreeBSD instance on a laptop.  With the aid of an external hard
disk, the space issue is resolved.  Of course, a dedicated box filled
with RAM is even better, but that isn't always necessary depending on
your needs.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at FreeBSD.org>