spamassassin problem with upgrade

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:14:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM, eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:

> Quoting Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>:

I'm having the same issues on FreeBSD 6.3.  Just upgraded
p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5_4
to p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_2 and get a similar error:

Feb 12 17:10:25 users spamd[22561]: child process [22563] exited or timed
out without signaling production of a PID file: exit 25 at
/usr/local/bin/spamd line 2541.

Running Perl v5.8.9.

>>> Had this problem on two machines.
>>>
>>> I solved it by deinstalling spamassassin and all perl modules it
>>> depended upon, reinstalling it and all mandatory and optional perl
>>> modules it requires.
>>>

>> I'd also like to point out I user pkg_rmleaves to perform this task.
>> This is easier than doing it by hand using pkg_delete and less error
>> prone. You could, obviously, also have portmaster adn portupgrade
>> perform the task, but they'd update a whole lot more ports which don't
>> really need to be rebuilt.(like the perl interpreter itself)
>>

> I tried to solve the problem by running:

portupgrade -fr p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_2

but after reinstalling all packages required by Spamassassin (including perl
:groan:!) the problem still persists.

I found that if I started the service on the commandline using:

spamd -d -C /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/ -r /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid

(ie trying to replicate(?) the local rc init process for spamd)

then the service will run correctly in the background.  I've left it like
this at the moment, I hope that's correct and I've not missed out anything,
I'll try removing spamd and all the required ports and reinstalling on
Monday when I have some free time.

Cheers.

--
Jez Hancock