spamassassin problem with upgrade

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Fri Feb 12 20:36:20 UTC 2010

Quoting Jez Hancock <jez.hancock at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM, eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>:

> I'm having the same issues on FreeBSD 6.3.  Just upgraded
> p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5_4
> to p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_2 and get a similar error:
>
> Feb 12 17:10:25 users spamd[22561]: child process [22563] exited or timed
> out without signaling production of a PID file: exit 25 at
> /usr/local/bin/spamd line 2541.
>
> Running Perl v5.8.9.

>>> I'd also like to point out I user pkg_rmleaves to perform this task.
>>> This is easier than doing it by hand using pkg_delete and less error
>>> prone. You could, obviously, also have portmaster adn portupgrade
>>> perform the task, but they'd update a whole lot more ports which don't
>>> really need to be rebuilt.(like the perl interpreter itself)
>>>

>> I tried to solve the problem by running:
>
> portupgrade -fr p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_2
>
> but after reinstalling all packages required by Spamassassin (including perl
> :groan:!) the problem still persists.
>
> I found that if I started the service on the commandline using:
>
> spamd -d -C /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/ -r /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid

Is this actually scoring your email, normally?  IMO, the -C should
point to the configuration files that are in
/usr/local/share/spamassassin which generates the original error.

I tried your version and it does what you said but doesn't actually
score spam.

Thanks,

ed

P.S.  I, like you, am still trying to find the combination to be able
to upgrade and have it work.