portmaster: print /usr/ports/UPDATING on update

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 28 08:49:33 UTC 2010

Peter, good day.

Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:27:55AM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> - I personally would prefer a human-readable file (and yes, I *can*
>   read XML; that doesn't mean it's easy or I *want* to :)
>   ...so how about a JSON representation?  Human-readable, human-editable,
>   but still capable of being formalized and validated

JSON is a bit better (it has no tag overwhelming), but why not just
adopt the current mail-like entry format with each entry idented at two
spaces and preceded by a timestamp in format 'YYYYMMDD:'?

It is fairly easy to write a validator for such entries, since it is
rather simple to parse it and the validation logics will be programmed
in any way if we will still lean toward the human-readable format.

There is JSON Schema, but this way we will need something like
{{{
{"date": 20100101,
 "affected":{
   "category":"www",
   "name":"elinks",
   "version":"blah"
 }
 "body":"a long body comes here"
}
}}}
to validate the individual "category", "name", "version" and others.
Such entries are human-readable, but not as pretty as the current
UPDATING entries, in my opinion.

> - ...and as for an implementation, there is a mini-JSON library in
>   NetBSD's netpgp implementation -
>   src/crypto/external/bsd/netpgp/dist/src/libmj/ in NetBSD CVS

Does it has the schema validation?  From what I seen at the NetBSD
CVS, there is not XML Schema implementation yet.
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]