portmaster: print /usr/ports/UPDATING on update

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Dec 28 08:28:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:07:18AM +0300, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 05:57:53PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > The Real AnswerTM is that we need a tool with striking similarities to
> > portaudit. The basic idea would be that UPDATING entries would be done
> > in xml, and then the user can either run portupdating (or whatever the
> > name ends up being, that's a really bad name but I suck at naming tools)
> > either by default for their whole system, or vs. a specific port. I
> > would strongly recommend that the behavior, command line options, etc.
> > be consistent with portaudit. Download it and check the man page if
> > there are any questions. :)
>
> There are two questions that arise with this approach:
>
>  - we should find a way to keep an old UPDATING file in place;
>    obviously, it can be easily created from the XML file, but
>    currently UPDATING is delivered via CVS and it will be good
>    to allow this behaviour even with the XML'ized version;
>    but keeping the plain-text UPDATING in CVS while UPDATING.xml
>    will be used is a bad idea -- UPDATING will be non-master
>    file, so its history will be redundant.  From the other hand,
>    we have no XML tools in the base tree, so UPDATING can't be
>    easily created from the XML version at the user machine;

Two quick thoughts here:

- I personally would prefer a human-readable file (and yes, I *can*
  read XML; that doesn't mean it's easy or I *want* to :)
  ...so how about a JSON representation?  Human-readable, human-editable,
  but still capable of being formalized and validated

- ...and as for an implementation, there is a mini-JSON library in
  NetBSD's netpgp implementation -
  src/crypto/external/bsd/netpgp/dist/src/libmj/ in NetBSD CVS

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at space.bg    roam at ringlet.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.