ossec port is outdated and no maintainer replies

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Nov 18 08:26:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 04:52:04AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> It is the maintainer's responsibility to update the port.  If the
> existing maintainer has vanished, you can take over maintainership by
> submitting a PR that updates the port and changes the MAINTAINER line.
> If the ports team are unable to contact the maintainer after a suitable
> period then your PR will be committed and you will become the maintainer.

This isn't quite accurate.

If you submit a PR, and the maintainer does not respond within 2 weeks,
it is eligible for any ports committer to commit.

A maintainer who does not respond to PRs or email for 3 months can be
reset by any committer.  However, I am often the person that does it,
because I look for "committed via: maintainer-timeout" in commit messages
and keep track of them.

The periods were picked to be "give them enough time to be on vacation"
and "let enough time have elapsed to show they are no longer interested."

mcl