status of FreeBSD ports you maintain as of 20090705

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 24 15:00:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 04:52:00PM +0200, Martin Tournoij wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:00:13 +0200, Alex Dupre <ale at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > Martin Tournoij ha scritto:
> >> Really, I have better things to do, I would have liked to do this in a
> >> nicer way, but I've been waiting for more than a week to revert the
> >> maintainer switch
> >
> > Do you mean you never approved the switch, as stated in the commit log?
> >
> > Change maintainer to scjamorim at bsd.com.br
> >
> > Submitted by:	scjamorim at bsd.com.br (to ports@)
> > Approved by:	carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net (maintainer)
>
> Not explicitly, and in my original post I said ``will resign the
> maintainership of all my ports in the **coming weeks**, (For a few ports
> I have a few changes/ updates **in the pipeline I would like to
> finish**).''
>
> Misunderstandings happen, and that's ok. I explained reassigning
> maintainership immediately was not my intention and asked to revert the
> changes, no word ever since ... Which is not so ok IMO...

And this is why I think we should have a policy of not changing
maintainer of things based upon mailing list traffic. I know I'm
guilty of doing it in the past but I have come to the conclusion that it
can cause these kinds of problems and set a precedent of people
expecting mailing list traffic to result in commits.

We should have an official record of who requested changes in the PR
database and not give the community the idea that mailing list traffic
asking for a commit to happen is the right way to do things.

-- WXS