NOT SOLVED --cvsup after upgrade to 6.3 coredump

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Fri Jul 11 16:50:44 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 10:05:10 David Southwell wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2008 07:24:39 Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:23:54 -0700
> >
> > David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net> wrote:

> > > Agreed. To keep this thread together I thought I would bring the
> > > substance of my last report into this reply.
> > >
> > > I have just done a portupgrade -Rf cvsup  but still have the core dump.
> > >
> > > However I notice an oddity.
> > >
> > > Despite having installed cvsup, turning X11 support on via config,
> > > pkg_info reports that
> > > cvsup-without-gui-16.1h_4
> > > is installed.
> > >
> > > It does not look right.
> > >
> > > Whilst cvsup is not part of the base system I am nonethesless totally
> > > puzzled why cvsup should begin core dumping only after upgrading from
> > > 6.1 to 6.3 and despite a portupgrade -Rf under 6.3.
> > >
> > > I do not really want to complete my upgrading to 7.0 stable until I am
> > > sure not to be dragging a current vulnerability into the new system !!!
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any idea what may be going on here and/or whether
> > > someone is willing to take a look at the core dump and make sense of
> > > it.
> >
> > Well, this probably won't help much, but I'm using cvsup/cvsupd on
> > 8-current (amd64) with no problems.  However, my binaries are from
> > October, 2007, so this doesn't preclude a regression since then.
> >
> > BTW the Makefile automatically turns off GUI support for amd64, which
> > is what you're running.
> >
> > ---
> > Gary Jennejohn
>
> BRILLIANT
> You gave me an idea
> I Did make deinstall.
> cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
> then make clean
> make
> make install and ran cvsup
>
> NO problem no core dump[
>
> Sounds like a good candidate for an entry in UPDATING
> In 6.1 the automatic turnoff of GUI support for amd64 works BUT if you run
> the same code or install from cvsup on amd64 under 6.3 it produces a core
> dump!! Problem sorted
> Thanks everyone

OK got carried away there
Results not good after all.

But this may be a clue
Here is what happened.. in the past it seemed to core dump immediately - but
now it transpires the dumping takes place only once the connection is made. I
incorrectly assumed all was OK when I got the "Rejected by Server" message
but jumped too quickly. So problem is still with us!!

Connected to cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
Rejected by server: Access limit exceeded; try again later
Will retry at 10:05:05
Retrying
Connected to cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
Bus error: 10 (core dumped)
[root at dns1 /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui]

Any ideas??