Oracle SQL Developer

Scott T. Hildreth shildret at scotth.emsphone.com
Thu Jan 17 11:58:36 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 21:56 +0100, martinko wrote:
> Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> > martinko wrote:
> >> Hallo,
> >>
> >> Would someone care to port Oracle's SQL Developer to FreeBSD, please ?
> >>
> >> <http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/index.html>
> >>

> >> Many thanks in advance!
> >
> > There is actually nothing to port, just download the non-JRE platform
> > independent zip file, unpack and run "bash sqldeveloper" from
> > sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin directory.
> >
> > Works for me (7.0-BETA3 on amd64, self-compiled sun jdk15 from ports).
> >
> > --Marcin
> >

> Well,
>
> I've tried it on 6-STABLE (6.2.something) and it got stuck at splash
> screen.  Btw, I've noticed output like this in terminal:

  When I first ran it, I had the same problem.  Then I noticed that
there was a prompt window behind the splash screen.  I was able to
grab the edge and pull the window over and answer the prompt.

> expr: illegal option -- X
> usage: expr [-e] expression
> expr: illegal option -- D
> usage: expr [-e] expression

  Linux expr has different options then the FreeBSD expr.  I ignore
  these errors since they are testing paths and my install is working.

> Also, all the scripts use #!/bin/bash which doesn't work in FreeBSD.

  I wrote a wrapper script to handle this,

#!/usr/local/bin/zsh

cd ~/src/Java/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/
bash ./sqldeveloper $@

...you could also link /usr/local/bin/bash to /bin/bash.