I don't understand this

Josh Tolbert hemi at puresimplicity.net
Sun Oct 14 16:28:47 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 05:11:22PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On October 14, 2007 4:48:54 PM -0500 Josh Tolbert
> <hemi at puresimplicity.net> wrote:
> >
> >It really is pretty straightforward. You have to get rid of _all_
> >of php4 before you install php5, then make sure the portsdb is
> >straightened out. I'm not sure why folks are having so much trouble
> >with this...
> >
> Well, I'll tell you why *I* had trouble with it.  When you run "make
> install clean" on the php?-extensions port, it *installs* the extensions.
> Naturally, I expected that when I ran the uninstall, it would uninstall
> the same ports that it installed previously.  In fact, when you uninstall
> the php4-extensions port, it *says* it uninstalled, but it *does* nothing.
> It doesn't even remove the ports from the ports db - nor does it remove
> the files installed with each extension port.
>
> That's *not* expected behavior for a port.
>
> I had no problem correcting the problem, but I should have had to.  If
> it's not possible to uninstall the extensions ports from php4-extensions,
> then it should tell you that when you try to run deinstall.  For me it was
> a minor inconvenience.  For a newbie, it could be a disaster.

(18:26:23 <hemi at demon:/usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions>) $ cat pkg-descr
This is a "meta-port" to install the extensions for PHP 5.

Defaults to: ctype, dom, iconv, pcre, posix, session, simplexml, sqlite, tokenizer and xml.

WWW: http://www.php.net/

- Alex Dupre
ale at FreeBSD.org

I don't see where you'd get the impression that it would let you deinstall any
ports from that metaport. All it does is install other ports. Now, if you'd
have done a recursive pkg_delete for ports php?-extensions depends on, it
would have deinstalled all the ports it installed...But you'd be in a world of
hurt in other ways.

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi at puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger
is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either
a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -- Helen Keller