I don't understand this

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Oct 14 15:44:37 PDT 2007

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> --On October 14, 2007 4:48:54 PM -0500 Josh Tolbert
> <hemi at puresimplicity.net> wrote:
>

>> It really is pretty straightforward. You have to get rid of _all_
>> of php4 before you install php5, then make sure the portsdb is
>> straightened out. I'm not sure why folks are having so much trouble
>> with this...
>>
> Well, I'll tell you why *I* had trouble with it.  When you run "make
> install clean" on the php?-extensions port, it *installs* the
> extensions. Naturally, I expected that when I ran the uninstall, it
> would uninstall the same ports that it installed previously.  In fact,
> when you uninstall the php4-extensions port, it *says* it uninstalled,
> but it *does* nothing. It doesn't even remove the ports from the ports
> db - nor does it remove the files installed with each extension port.
>
> That's *not* expected behavior for a port.
>
> I had no problem correcting the problem, but I should have had to.  If
> it's not possible to uninstall the extensions ports from
> php4-extensions, then it should tell you that when you try to run
> deinstall.  For me it was a minor inconvenience.  For a newbie, it could
> be a disaster.

Maybe you missunderstand phpX-extensions metaport. It install itself as
phpX-extensions and phpX-something is installed as dependency. If you
unsinstall phpX-extensions, only this one port is uninstalled and no
dependency is touched. It is expected behavior!
phpX-extensions is easy way how one can install a bunch of phpX ports in
one step. portinstall phpX-extensions will install phpX and choosen
phpX-something and pecl-something.
If you need to unsinstall all php ports, you must unsinstall them
manualy by pkg_deinstall phpX-\* pecl-\*.
So the right way to do your task was: pkg_deinstall php4-\* pecl-\* &&
portinstall php5-extensions
Isn't it nice and easy?

Miroslav Lachman