I don't understand this

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Oct 14 15:11:34 PDT 2007

--On October 14, 2007 4:48:54 PM -0500 Josh Tolbert
<hemi at puresimplicity.net> wrote:

> It really is pretty straightforward. You have to get rid of _all_
> of php4 before you install php5, then make sure the portsdb is
> straightened out. I'm not sure why folks are having so much trouble
> with this...

Well, I'll tell you why *I* had trouble with it.  When you run "make
install clean" on the php?-extensions port, it *installs* the extensions.
Naturally, I expected that when I ran the uninstall, it would uninstall
the same ports that it installed previously.  In fact, when you uninstall
the php4-extensions port, it *says* it uninstalled, but it *does* nothing.
It doesn't even remove the ports from the ports db - nor does it remove
the files installed with each extension port.

That's *not* expected behavior for a port.

I had no problem correcting the problem, but I should have had to.  If
it's not possible to uninstall the extensions ports from php4-extensions,
then it should tell you that when you try to run deinstall.  For me it was
a minor inconvenience.  For a newbie, it could be a disaster.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/