Ports 104877 causing big problems

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Mar 10 11:11:02 UTC 2007

On 2007-Mar-10 01:23:23 +0100, Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort at freebsd.org> wrote:
>If you don't like my solution, provide one yourself. You are the
>maintainer, and you introduced that regression by resurrecting .la
>files.

libtool is designed to use .la files.  By installing the .la files,
FreeBSD is complying with libtool design decisions.  This raises the
following question: Does Linux show the same dependency behaviour as
FreeBSD?

If Linux and FreeBSD both demonstrate the same behaviour then the
problem is inherent in libtool:  Any fix should occur upstream.

If the FreeBSD behaviour is felt to be significantly worse than Linux
then the next step is to identify what the configuration differences
are.  In the libldtl case, it was that the libtool developer was not
told that FreeBSD's dynamic loader correctly handled .so's depending
on other .so's and he therefore noted it as "unknown" which turns
into "assume it doesn't".  This caused gnucash to start slowly.  The
fix was quite simple.

It is quite likely that the underlying problem here (if there is one)
can also be resolved in a far less intrusive way.

--
Peter Jeremy