Ports with version numbers going backwards: net-p2p/azureus2

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 26 16:19:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 12:07:48PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 01:34:08AM +0800, Rong-En Fan wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 05:31:49PM +0000, erwin at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > > ** The following ports have a version number that sorts before a previous one **
> > >
> > >  For many package tools to work correctly, it is of utmost importance that
> > >  version numbers of a port form a monotonic increasing sequence over time.
> > >  Refer to the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook, 'Package Naming Conventions' for
> > >  more information. Tools that won't work include pkg_version, portupgrade
> > >  and portaudit. A common error is an accidental deletion of PORTEPOCH.
> > >
> > >  Please fix any errors as soon as possible.
> >
> > As I noted in commit log, this port is just repocopied and not
> > connected to build. The is intentional.
>
> If it is not connected to the build then how is it showing up here?  I
> thought the script used INDEX builds for comparison.

It does it's own thing by default, but it looks like it can be made to
use INDEX instead.  I'll try to polay with this when I find some time,
the code is a bit of a maze though.

-erwin