Vertical split patch in sysutils/screen

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Mon Jan 29 22:25:43 UTC 2007

Hi Cy,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 08:04:09AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
> A couple of comments. Something like this should be integrated into the
> base screen software. screen-devel at gnu.org or screen-users at gnu.org might be
> a good place to start. That is the preferred approach. If the greater
> screen community does not feel this additional functionality is necessary
> and if we the FreeBSD community feel it is, I believe we could implement
> this. For something like this we should approach the GNU screen developers
> first.
>
> If we as a FreeBSD community decide to implement this outside of the GNU
> screen development community, I'd like to spend some time testing it.
> People are free to test it and let me know what they think.
>
> Firstly though, we should submit this to screen-devel at gnu.org. I would like
> to be in the loop when you do submit it to them.

Yes, I know the principle of upstream sources and I perfectly agree
with you.  However, I think the patch have already been brought to
attention of screen-devel at gnu.org.  The problem is that this patch
breaks some features, as described in the "Bugs" section of its
webpage [1] and have this not been adopted.

I fully understand you don't want to break screen.  However I am
a user of this patch and I don't care about the broken features,
and so does a friend of mine.  I supposes there might be other users
in this case, so I've made the patch.

I would understand if you didn't want to commit this.  However if
you agree to commit it with a bug warning message, I can correct
my patch to add this message in which I will detail the broken
features.

Please, let me know about your decision.

Thank you.
Best regards,

[1] http://fungi.yuggoth.org/vsp4s/
--