HELP needed by experienced porter for simple review
Paul Schmehl
pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Dec 6 09:45:16 PST 2007
--On Thursday, December 06, 2007 13:34:05 +0100 GP <godpost at gmail.com>
wrote:
>
> rc.conf
> It's a shame that I can't use a script placed in /files to change rc.conf
> during install/
> deinstall. I really liked that. But i guess I will settle with a dull
> pkg-message at the
> end, like the rest of you...
>
Well, no, it's not a shame. The last thing we want to do as a community is
enable all sorts of daemons that users don't know they have enabled. It's
up to the owner of a box to enable a daemon **in the way** that they want
it enabled. For example, *none* of the daemons on my workstation listen
for connections on its IP address - only on localhost. If you enabled the
daemon by default while installing the script, and I didn't have time to
config it the way I wanted, and it got started (either by accident or by
reboot) I would be pissed (not to mention possibly hacked.)
As porters our job is to make the software available for install *not*
decide how or when it will be used.
--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/
More information about the freebsd-ports
mailing list