Fixing VNC port(s) for AMD64

Jonathan Fosburgh jonathan at fosburgh.org
Wed Jul 5 12:47:11 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 22:41, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> So I'm new to AMD64 and was surprised by the lack of VNC
> support for this platform.  Its been a while since I've
> hacked ports (like more years than I have fingers on one
> hand), but I figured it couldn't be that hard to fix up one
> of the VNC ports and submit my work back.
>
> Boy was I wrong.

My experiences trying to fix NXwindows for AMD64 were quite similar. A better
solution would be to get the vendors to update their code to either a newer
XF86 or Xorg.  I think both VNC and NX use XFree 4.3 or earlier which do not
support amd64 (though they seem to support ia64). It seems to me that Linux
users would have the same problems that we do.
--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator