New port with maintainer ports@FreeBSD.org [was: Question about maintainers]

Babak Farrokhi bfarrokhi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 12:51:44 GMT 2005

Pav,

On 7/31/05, Pav Lucistnik <pav at freebsd.org> wrote:

> > Let me give you an example: I am the maintainer for www/eventum. The
> > current version in ports tree was 1.5.4 so I submitted the patch for
> > 1.5.5 (ports/84297) and now version 1.6.0 is out but the patch is not
> > submitted despite I was the maintainer myself.
>
> Submitted on Friday, complained about it on Saturday?

My bad. You are right. I really didn't notice the date while I
originally had ports/83960 in mind to give as example.

> We just don't have a _manpower_ to process all incoming PRs in 24 hours
> after arrival timeframe. Your simple update of eventum took me 20
> minutes to fix, test and commit. I have it pretty extensively automated.
> New ports usually takes longer, depending on how much committer have to
> fix. Trust me, some submissions are really useless.
>
> Should we just kill those? I believe not.
>
> Now take a look at http://www.oook.cz/bsd/prstats/busters-ports.html
> those are numbers of closed PRs in past 3 months. That gives me
> 8 PRs/day. In practice I'm spending some four hours a day on it.
> I got a paid fulltime job I have to do, and I also got some non-FreeBSD
> pasttime activities, commonly called "a life".

I am a ports freak and I always have a freshports.org rss feed to
track ports changes as well as submitting updates and patches. It is
obvious that ports team is doing a very good job with testing and
fixing submissions. I personally learn too many things when you clean
up the code before submission and I would like to thank you for the
good job. (e.g. ports/84297). You are teaching people to submit
cleaner codes and hopefully become commiters to help the project. I
hope I can help someday.

> The point here is to view the situation from the standpoint of
> committers. No one here can be doing this full-time. And people are
> doing this for fun, don't forget.
>
> Now a lot of committers spend a lot of time maintaining their own ports,
> which are often complex and heavinly used.
>
> What we could really use be some dedicated people with a lot of free
> time and a good skill in ports. Those people are hard to find.
>
> > Another example: I submitted patch to update editors/vim to patchlevel
> > 79, now this version is vulnerable to arbitrary command execution
> > according to CAN-2005-2368. So I submitted the patchlevel 85
> > (ports/84145) and also notified security-team at . But the port is still
> > awaiting approval.
>
> Well yes, it was three days old when you urged this at secteam. They
> decided to wait on maintainer instead of rushing it in, as the
> vulnerability is not that severe.
>
> > There is really something wrong with the port management process.
> > People's work is not being respected. So how do I get encouraged to
> > submit my patches?
>
> Now you cut yourself with double-edged sword. You want us to respect
> your submission by not respecting O'Brien's maintainership?

There is no point to bypass the maintainer approval except in
emergency cases which does not apply to my submission to this port.
However I only contacted secteam to notify them of the vulnerability
and speed up the process (like I already did for ports/83006). I just
thought maybe its a good idea to reduce the maintainer-timeout for
security patches.

--
Babak Farrokhi
email: babak at farrokhi.net