New port with maintainer ports@FreeBSD.org [was: Question about maintainers]

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 31 10:54:15 GMT 2005

Babak Farrokhi píše v ne 31. 07. 2005 v 00:11 +0430:
> On 7/30/05, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> >
> > If the maintainer is inactive, there isn't one.  But we want to encourage
> > more people to be active maintainers.
> >

> Good point. How do you encourage people to be active maintainers/contributors?
>
> Let me give you an example: I am the maintainer for www/eventum. The
> current version in ports tree was 1.5.4 so I submitted the patch for
> 1.5.5 (ports/84297) and now version 1.6.0 is out but the patch is not
> submitted despite I was the maintainer myself.

Submitted on Friday, complained about it on Saturday?

We just don't have a _manpower_ to process all incoming PRs in 24 hours
after arrival timeframe. Your simple update of eventum took me 20
minutes to fix, test and commit. I have it pretty extensively automated.
New ports usually takes longer, depending on how much committer have to
fix. Trust me, some submissions are really useless.

Should we just kill those? I believe not.

Now take a look at http://www.oook.cz/bsd/prstats/busters-ports.html
those are numbers of closed PRs in past 3 months. That gives me
8 PRs/day. In practice I'm spending some four hours a day on it.
I got a paid fulltime job I have to do, and I also got some non-FreeBSD
pasttime activities, commonly called "a life".

The point here is to view the situation from the standpoint of
committers. No one here can be doing this full-time. And people are
doing this for fun, don't forget.

Now a lot of committers spend a lot of time maintaining their own ports,
which are often complex and heavinly used.

What we could really use be some dedicated people with a lot of free
time and a good skill in ports. Those people are hard to find.

> Another example: I submitted patch to update editors/vim to patchlevel
> 79, now this version is vulnerable to arbitrary command execution
> according to CAN-2005-2368. So I submitted the patchlevel 85
> (ports/84145) and also notified security-team at . But the port is still
> awaiting approval.

Well yes, it was three days old when you urged this at secteam. They
decided to wait on maintainer instead of rushing it in, as the
vulnerability is not that severe.

> There is really something wrong with the port management process.
> People's work is not being respected. So how do I get encouraged to
> submit my patches?

Now you cut yourself with double-edged sword. You want us to respect
your submission by not respecting O'Brien's maintainership?

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

And now something completely different.