New port with maintainer ports@FreeBSD.org [was: Question about maintainers]

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Fri Jul 29 10:59:05 GMT 2005

# linimon at lonesome.com / 2005-07-28 12:04:01 -0500:
> I no longer have the statistics online but from the last time I went
> through this it is about twice more likely that an unmaintained port:
>
>  - has PRs against it
>  - is broken
>  - is out-of-date

    I cannot dispute the latter two, but have you included these in your
    calculations?

    When people see the port is maintained:

    - they wait for the maintainer to fix/update the port instead of
      submitting a patch
    - they communicate directly with the maintainer
    - they don't bother at all, because the maintainer won't respond
      anyway (applies to specific maintainers)

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.