security/courier-authlib and courier user

Oliver Lehmann oliver at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 24 13:29:12 GMT 2005

Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After using courier-authlib with maildrop (from sendmail) and
> courier-imap, I can't see any reason to have a courier user.
>
> This seems more a need of the courier mailer, and maybe of the tarball
> build/install system (I doubt).
>
> So, I'm thinking about the convenience of don't do any courier user work
> and do a rcNg for the courier mailer that fire-up all the components
> (and not use courier-authlib rcNG for courier mailer).  I think the
> courier user only matters to the courier mailer.

"For the Courier mail server, /var/run/courier/authdaemon should be owned
by the userid that Courier is installed under, and it must be readable
and writable by the Courier user and group (but no world permissions)."

How can I do this if I don't create the courier user with courier-authlib?

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/