security/courier-authlib and courier user

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Sun Jul 24 14:44:24 GMT 2005

El Domingo, 24 de Julio de 2005 15:29, Oliver Lehmann escribió:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After using courier-authlib with maildrop (from sendmail) and
> > courier-imap, I can't see any reason to have a courier user.
> >
> > This seems more a need of the courier mailer, and maybe of the
> > tarball build/install system (I doubt).
> >
> > So, I'm thinking about the convenience of don't do any courier user
> > work and do a rcNg for the courier mailer that fire-up all the
> > components (and not use courier-authlib rcNG for courier mailer).
> > I think the courier user only matters to the courier mailer.
>
> "For the Courier mail server, /var/run/courier/authdaemon should be
> owned by the userid that Courier is installed under, and it must be
> readable and writable by the Courier user and group (but no world
> permissions)."
>
> How can I do this if I don't create the courier user with
> courier-authlib?

First, this needs test, but I think that the real problem is
using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-authdaemond.sh with courier mailer.

I think courier mailer users must maintain courier_authdaemond_enable to
NO and embed /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-authdaemond.sh functonality in
its own rc script.

This have more sense with the closed concept of the courier mailer.

Also thinking in support ${courier_authdaemond_user:=root}
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-authdaemond.sh

--
  josemi