FreeBSD Port: php4-extensions-1.0

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Tue Jan 4 01:44:28 GMT 2005

 [ please don't cc ale if you reply, there's nothing wrong with his port ]

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:59:19 -0800
vark <vark at thegilmancompany.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   first thanks for the php ports!  I'm also new to FreeBSD.  I had an
> issue with adding another option to the options menu for this port.  The
> following  is the steps that I went through:
>
>    1.    not knowing any better I reran a "make install clean distclean"

distclean will delete the sources and it is not necessary.

> to add another option and got:

 php4-extensions is a "mete-port"; it would have been easier to locate
the individual extension port and install it.

>            ===>   php4-extensions-1.0 is already installed
>               You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>               by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>               If you really wish to overwrite the old port of
> lang/php4-extensions
>              without deleting it first, set the variable
> "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>               in your environment or the "make install" command line.
>           *** Error code 1
>
>           which was good.
>
>     2.    I did a "make deinstall" as suggested by the error.
>     3.    I then the "make reinstall" but, never got the options menu to
> come up.

Right. Your options where saved so there was no need to prompt you again.
make config will give you the OPTIONS screen.

>     4.   "make deinstall" again.
>     5.   "make install clean distclean", and again no options menu.
>     6.    "make deinstall" again.
>     7.   renamed /var/db/ports/php4-extensions to
> /var/db/ports/old-php4-extensions

make rmconfig

>     8.   "make install clean distclean", this time got the menu options
> screen and everything was good.
>
> just wanted let you know. I'm not sure if  I went through the right
> deinstall process and brought this problem on myself.  Again, thanks for
> the ports.

As I've said, there is a simpler way:

Let's say you want php4-mhash, you have installed php4-extensions
without it: just
cd /usr/ports/security/php4-mhash && make install clean

Read the ports chapter of the handbook, please.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"