nvidia-driver v8174 - DGA missing (cont'd)

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Mon Dec 19 02:12:54 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 00:31 +0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> On Sunday 18 December 2005 00:07, Martin wrote:
> > Hi (again),
> >
> > Someone (off-list) suggested to install the nvidia-driver as it
> > comes from NVidia (e.a. without using ports). It does not work,
> > either.
> >
> > Here the exact messages:
> >  > xawtv -device /dev/bktr0
> >
> > This is xawtv-3.95, running on FreeBSD/i386 (6.0-RELEASE)
> > X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
> >    Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
> >    Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
> >    Serial number of failed request:  65
> >    Current serial number in output stream:  65
>
> Someone here with the same problem:
> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37577
>
> After a cvsup/buildworld. I don't use dga myself, but I did upgrade my nvidia
> driver without problems, using nvidia agp btw.
> As per port indications I did recompile nvidia-driver after recompiling the
> kernel. However, I have the same problem:
> dga
> X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
>   Major opcode of failed request:  137 (XFree86-DGA)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
>   Serial number of failed request:  13
>
> Never tested this before, so I have no idea whether this can be attributed to
> the driver or FreeBSD.
>
> Going to recompile xorg-clients and see what gives.

Hi,

just as a pointer, please review the NVIDIA README file, quoting from
it:
Q. My X server log file contains the message:

   (WW) NVIDIA(0): You appear to be using the XFree86-DGA extension.
Please
   (WW) NVIDIA(0):      be aware that support for this extension will be
   (WW) NVIDIA(0):      removed from the NVIDIA driver in a future
driver
   (WW) NVIDIA(0):      release.  See the NVIDIA README for details.

   What is NVIDIA's plan for support of the XFree86-DGA extension?

A. Support for the XFree86-DGA extension will be removed from the NVIDIA
   driver in a future driver release. This means that while the
extension will
   continue to be advertised and XDGASelectInput() will still function
   properly so that DGA clients can acquire relative pointer motion, DGA
entry
   points such as XDGASetMode() and XDGAOpenFramebuffer() will fail.

   If you would prefer that DGA support not be removed from the NVIDIA X
   driver, please feel free to make your concerns known on the FreeBSD
forum
   on nvnews.net.

Do you see the message in your Xorg log file? (I'm not using DGA, and
watching tv with mplayer which uses Xv).

HTH,
Andreas