nvidia-driver v8174 - DGA missing (cont'd)

Martin nakal at nurfuerspam.de
Mon Dec 19 12:17:50 PST 2005

Andreas Kohn wrote:

> just as a pointer, please review the NVIDIA README file, quoting from
> it:
> Q. My X server log file contains the message:
>

>    (WW) NVIDIA(0): You appear to be using the XFree86-DGA extension.
> Please
>    (WW) NVIDIA(0):      be aware that support for this extension will be
>    (WW) NVIDIA(0):      removed from the NVIDIA driver in a future
> driver
>    (WW) NVIDIA(0):      release.  See the NVIDIA README for details.
>

>    What is NVIDIA's plan for support of the XFree86-DGA extension?
>
> A. Support for the XFree86-DGA extension will be removed from the NVIDIA
>    driver in a future driver release. This means that while the
> extension will
>    continue to be advertised and XDGASelectInput() will still function
>    properly so that DGA clients can acquire relative pointer motion, DGA
> entry
>    points such as XDGASetMode() and XDGAOpenFramebuffer() will fail.
>
>    If you would prefer that DGA support not be removed from the NVIDIA X
>    driver, please feel free to make your concerns known on the FreeBSD
> forum
>    on nvnews.net.
> --------------------------
>
> Do you see the message in your Xorg log file? (I'm not using DGA, and
> watching tv with mplayer which uses Xv).

Hi Andreas,

I don't see this message. But this might be the cause why DGA does not
work anymore, of course.

I tried mplayer now. Seems to work fine. Thank you for the hint!

A bit OT:
Now I wished, my ~/.mplayer/input.conf would work, so I can use
the cursor keys to change channels (it seems, it is being ignored,
even when using "-input conf=...").

Martin