Port requests plus how to add non-ports apps the right way

Massimiliano Stucchi stucchi at willystudios.com
Wed Sep 15 03:32:46 PDT 2004

On 140904, 14:32, Esaltato wrote:
> DISCLAIMER: absolutely no pressions intended on ports mantainers...

I hope so, since we're in a period of freeze for the ports tree. :)

> I hope it's ok to ask for new ports.

Well, generally it is.  The thing is that if you want some new ports
included in the tree, you should better go out, create the
infrastructure yourself, and then sendpr it.  This way you surely would
have someone out there testing your new port(s), and giving suggestions
as to how to improve it.  FreeBSD is an opensource project, and while
everybody working on it is open to suggestions, nobody can assure you a
work would be done of it, since nobody is going to be paid for it.

Just to put it down clear, get the software, create the port, and then
use sendpr to search for a committer to include it in the tree. (Since
you're Italian, I think Dupre would be glad to help you... :)

> More: I think FreeBSD needs a graphical partition editor, and there's
> GParted that looks rather good. What about adding it to ports?

Read above.

> Anyhow what's the best way not to have files in wrong places when you
> install a non-ports program? ...and to uninstall it later in a clean way?

./configure  --prefix=path_to_dir

even if I wouldn't recommend not to use the ports system.

Ciao !
--

Massimiliano Stucchi
WillyStudios.com