submitting changes to a port

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Fri Sep 10 05:52:42 PDT 2004

> I've two questions:
>
> 1) How do I submit the new set of patches???
>    a) new diffs to the orignal sources
>    b) extra diffs to the previously patched set of sources
>    c) diffs against the old diffs?
>
> [I think I read the answer somewhere in the porters manual, but I'm not
> able to find it again :( ]

Hi,

the common way is to
 - make a copy of the port's directory (e.g. ports/category/ports.orig)
 - modify the port (ports/category/port) until you're satisfied
 - submit the output of

 cd ports/category && diff -ruN port.orig port
 in a problem report (don't forget to Cc: the maintainer (if it's
 != ports at FreeBSD.org)).

> 2) I need a TMP directory to install some of the tools in, as they are
> needed as bootstrap for other tools to build.
>    Now I've got a variable TMP which is currently set to /tmp.
>    Where/how should I do that?

You should do that in a subdirectory of ${WRKSRC}, e.g.
${WRKSRC}/bootstrap (this directory is guaranteed to be writable for
you port, and it's cleaned automaticalle in the ``make clean'' stage.

HTH,
 Simon