submitting changes to a port

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Fri Sep 10 06:08:19 PDT 2004

Simon Barner wrote:

>the common way is to
> - make a copy of the port's directory (e.g. ports/category/ports.orig)
> - modify the port (ports/category/port) until you're satisfied
> - submit the output of
>

> cd ports/category && diff -ruN port.orig port

Before or after
    make extract
    make patch
    make

You see there lies my question. I've also don the original port, but it
did not work on amd64.
And thus we will be seeing possibly 2 patches for one file if I do the
diff after "make patch".
So I would expect to have diffs to the original source

> in a problem report (don't forget to Cc: the maintainer (if it's
>

> != ports at FreeBSD.org)).

I'm the maintainer. But I do not have cvs-rights, nor would I want to have.

>>2) I need a TMP directory to install some of the tools in, as they are
>>needed as bootstrap for other tools to build.
>>   Now I've got a variable TMP which is currently set to /tmp.
>>   Where/how should I do that?
>>

>You should do that in a subdirectory of ${WRKSRC}, e.g.
>${WRKSRC}/bootstrap (this directory is guaranteed to be writable for
>you port, and it's cleaned automaticalle in the ``make clean'' stage.

So ${WRKSRC}/tmp would do the trick.

Thanx, for helping me out,
--WjW