linux-flashplugin question

Brandon D. Valentine brandon at dvalentine.com
Wed Jul 21 07:34:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:05:56PM +0300, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> I'm sure I can solve them. my main problem is with the
> linux-flashplugin. I installed linux-flashplugin6, and
> linuxpluginwrapper. both mozilla and firefox recognized the plugin,
> but they didn't play sound, and the browser just hanged right after I
> closed the window with the flash movie.

I'm the linux-flashplugin maintainer so I suppose I should speak up
here.  Many, many people, myself included, have linux-flashplugin6 &
linuxpluginwrapper running successfully on 4.x systems.  You will need
to make sure you have linux_base installed (which the flash ports
already depend on for you), linux compatibility loaded into the kernel
(either compiled in or via the module), and then follow the instructions
in the linuxpluginwrapper pkg-message to setup your libmap.conf(5)
properly.

> then I tried to install linux-flashplugin7 but mozilla/firefox doesn't
> recognize it, and I can't find any documentation on how to enable that
> (well, I did find on google that it works with opera...).  I found
> only a few references to these problems on google, but none of them
> had a solution (does this mean that nobody uses flash with freebsd or
> nobody's having problems with that :) ).  I don't want to install
> flash5 because many sites require flash6. (and I don't have a windows
> machine to view them there).

linux-flashplugin7 does not currently work with linuxpluginwrapper.  You
can use linux-flashplugin7 with Linux browser binaries such as
linux-mozilla or linux-opera only.  I hope to soon work with the
linuxpluginwrapper maintainer to integrate changes necessary to support
linux-flashplugin7 natively on FreeBSD.

HTH,

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon at dvalentine.com                           http://www.geekpunk.net
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  july is tom joyner fundraising month