-Current build problems with audio/arts: "lt-mcopidl in free(): error: chunk is already free" and core dumped

P.D. Seniura pdseniura at techie.com
Tue Aug 10 14:33:23 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:20:57 +0200
To: "P.D. Seniura" <pdseniura at techie.com>
Subject: Re: -Current build problems with audio/arts: "lt-mcopidl in free(): error: chunk is already free" and core dumped

> On Monday 09 August 2004 23:12, P.D. Seniura wrote:
>
> > And so that brings me to a question about these
> > packages being built on the build-farms -- the logs
> > at rabarber shows being linked against /usr/local/lib
> > on _that_ machine -- is /usr/local/lib on _that_
> > machine a fresh build of a 5-current world?
>
> Each package is built in a chroot jail, which is populated with a bindist (the
> 'distribution' tarballs you get on a FreeBSD installation cd and which are
> extracted by sysinstall) and (earlier built) dependency packages. After the
> package is built, the chroot jail is deleted and a new one is created for the
> next packagebuild.
>
> The bindist we are using is a -CURRENT snapshot made by
> http://snapshots.se.freebsd.org, from August, 1st.
>
> Just to make sure I absolutely get this right: The mcopidl binary from _our
> package_ does coredump on your machine? That's plain weird. :-\

Correct.
Upon the discovery that mcopidl was causing the build
to tank, I dug under arts' work subdir and planted
your copy there.  Sho'nuf crasheroonie!  ;)

Even recreating the particular cmd lines, y'know sans
build environment, even under gdb, etc.

If you just type mcopidl you'll get its little help
blurb, and that much does _not_ crash.

Since it didn't help to use y'all's binary, I kept the
ones I built here, I can prove things were built as
clean as possible this way.  ;)
That's why I think it is not being reproduced on
rabarber because _the system itself_ is not up &
running on a -current world -- am I correct on this
point?  (Maybe Aug.1 is already "too old".)
The gcc342 system compiler has created everything
here as fresh as a daisy (well almost ;) .  And I have
built world & kernel many many times, such that even
gcc342 has rebuilt itself many times.

I sure wish someone reading this discussion would
try it for me in that manner.  I know since KDE takes
a long time to build, most ppl will install the
packages, but so far even those won't run right
on this puny p2.

The mcopidl is for developers IIUC, so most end-users
will not even see this problem any way at all.

I guess next I will need to hack makefiles to let it
build with debug options, y'know all that stuff...  ;)

Thank you for helping again.
If we ever can crack this, I'll sure let y'all know.

> --
>    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org
>  (/^ ^\) | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve     | http://www.freebsd.org
>    \u/   | K Desktop Environment on FreeBSD | http://freebsd.kde.org