i got a possible working scenario (Re: -Current build problemsand core dumped)

P.D. Seniura pdseniura at techie.com
Tue Aug 10 16:32:55 PDT 2004

Hi,

I found audio/arts will use the same build-knobs that
other KDE components have under FreeBSD's ports system.

In the failing scenario, I have
WANT_KDE_FINAL=yes
in my /etc/make.conf .

I commented that out and inserted
WANT_KDE_DEBUG=yes
to kick in the --enable-debug=full configure option
for arts.

And the resulting mcopidl binary is NOT crashing.  :)

If I could ask you or someone reading this to try
WANT_KDE_FINAL=yes
and then see if your build fails when it runs
mcopidl for other modules inside there.

I am also building arts with its two options enabled
for NAS & ESD.  These may not make a difference,
they've already built & installed fine with gcc342.

BTW I'm doing all of this in BATCH=yes mode, and the
settings are all in /etc/make.conf (it's a huge pain
to do 522 ports with pkgtools.conf ;) .

I will try to further test building arts without the
'debug' option but also without the 'final' option.
I am strongly suspecting the 'final' option is
causing some code to be miscompiled somehow (the
./configure --help blurb does show --enable-final as
experimental).  Thing is I always have had 'final'
in effect for most of this year but it is _just now_
breaking, if my gut feeling on this is correct.  ;)

As I type this, audio/arts has finished compiling
and has been installed.  Keeping fingers crossed as
I undo the debug option now & try it again.

Thank you for helping.