Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Mon Sep 22 15:57:33 PDT 2003

* Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> [030922 18:50]:

> It definitely needs to either to be revised in order to extend the purpose
> of X11R6, or a lot of ports has to move their default destination. That's
> if you're anal about the issue, for which I see no reason. It's a bikeshed
> issue if I ever saw one, but it's good to see you're paying attention.

I don't have a very strong opinion on the matter, but I do want to point
out how initially confusing it was that the xdm configuration files are
under /usr/X11R6, but the matching kdm config files are under
/usr/local/share.  Of course gdm puts its files in a different place
under /usr/X11R6 but at least I can "find /usr/X11R6 -name Xsession" to
get that one.

Once I did locate kdm's files, it was no big deal, but it was an extra
step to go through.

--Mike