Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Mon Sep 22 15:49:35 PDT 2003

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:50:13 +0300, Andy Fawcett <andy at athame.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 22 September 2003 08:39, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>>
>>> I just found out that KDE and KDE apps install in the /usr/local
>>> instead /usr/X11R6, so I am wondering why is that? I am just curious
>>> and I personal will put them in /usr/X11R6..
>>

>> From hier(7):
>>
>> /usr/
>>     local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
>>               default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
>>               Within local/, the general layout sketched out by hier
>>               for /usr should be used.  Exceptions are the man
>>               directory (directly under local/ rather than under
>>               local/share/), ports documentation (in
>>               share/doc/<port>/), and /usr/local/etc (mimics /etc).
>>
>>     X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc
>>                         (optional).
>>               bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
>>                         packages/ports).
>>               etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
>>               include/  X11R6 include files.
>>               lib/      X11R6 libraries.
>>               man/      X11R6 manual pages.
>>               share/    architecture-independent files.
>>
>> So, from this, it's arguable where they should go.
>>
>> KDE isn't part of X11R6, so it should go in /usr/local/, as should
>> Gnome, Windowmaker etc.
>

> Well, KDE is part of X app.

KDE is _NOT_ part of an X11R6 distribution. XFree86, for example, is a X11R6
distribution.

>> Of course, you can argue that it is tightly integrated with X, so should
>> go under /usr/X11R6.
>

> Awful a lot of WM are in /usr/X11R6, so I think we see the winner easily.

Except twm, they don't belong there, at least not according to hier(7).
/usr/X11R6 belongs to X, and X is actually a very clearly defined dataset.

>> It's all down to your interpretation of the above segment of hier(7)
>> really.
>>
>> Me? I don't care, and I'm not going to bikeshed the issue.
>

> Well, I do care. :-) Perhaps, the hier(7) need to be explain more clear
> or just clean?

It definitely needs to either to be revised in order to extend the purpose of
X11R6, or a lot of ports has to move their default destination. That's if
you're anal about the issue, for which I see no reason. It's a bikeshed issue
if I ever saw one, but it's good to see you're paying attention.

    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org