Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Sep 22 16:20:09 PDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:57:30 -0400, Michael Edenfield <kutulu at kutulu.org>
wrote:

> * Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> [030922 18:50]:
>
>> It definitely needs to either to be revised in order to extend the
>> purpose
>> of X11R6, or a lot of ports has to move their default destination.
>> That's
>> if you're anal about the issue, for which I see no reason. It's a
>> bikeshed
>> issue if I ever saw one, but it's good to see you're paying attention.
>
> I don't have a very strong opinion on the matter, but I do want to point
> out how initially confusing it was that the xdm configuration files are
> under /usr/X11R6, but the matching kdm config files are under
> /usr/local/share.  Of course gdm puts its files in a different place
> under /usr/X11R6 but at least I can "find /usr/X11R6 -name Xsession" to
> get that one.
>
> Once I did locate kdm's files, it was no big deal, but it was an extra
> step to go through.

Yep.. I am the maintainer for www/linux-opera and I was expected that KDE
is in /usr/X11R6 for the icon stuff, because of a lot of GUI apps are
install in /usr/X11R6. I never get the feedback about linux-opera with
KDE, until last week I found out that KDE is install in /usr/local (I
don't use KDE and never check on KDE's prefix until now). I will have to
change from ${X11BASE} to ${LOCALBASE} to put the Opera icon in the
${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk for KDE.

It is how it got me wondering and curious about hier(7) to see if it needs
to clean or else. :-)

Cheers,
Mezz

--