20TB Storage System (fsck????)

Max Clark max.clark at media.net
Wed Sep 3 11:02:44 PDT 2003

Ohh, that's an interesting snag. I was under the impression that 5.x w/ PAE
could address more than 4GB of Ram.

- The PAE support allows FreeBSD machines to make use of more than 4
gigabytes of RAM. This functionality was originally written by Jake
Burkholder under contract with DARPA and Network Associates Laboratories.
Additional changes for individual device drivers will follow in the coming
weeks.

If fsck requires 700K for each 1GB of Disk, we are talking about 7GB of Ram
for 10TB of disk. Is this correct? Will PAE not function correctly to give
me 8GB of Ram? To check 10TB of disk?

Is there anyway to bypass this requirement and split fsck into smaller
chunks? Being able to fsck my disk is kinda important.

I have zero experience with either itanium or opteron. What is the current
status of support for these processors in FreeBSD? What would the preferred
CPU be? Will there be PCI cards that I would not be able to use in either of
these systems?

Thanks,
-Max