20TB Storage System (fsck????)

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Wed Sep 3 11:16:58 PDT 2003

Max Clark wrote:
> Ohh, that's an interesting snag. I was under the impression that 5.x w/ PAE
> could address more than 4GB of Ram.
>
> - The PAE support allows FreeBSD machines to make use of more than 4
> gigabytes of RAM. This functionality was originally written by Jake
> Burkholder under contract with DARPA and Network Associates Laboratories.
> Additional changes for individual device drivers will follow in the coming
> weeks.
>
> If fsck requires 700K for each 1GB of Disk, we are talking about 7GB of Ram
> for 10TB of disk. Is this correct? Will PAE not function correctly to give
> me 8GB of Ram? To check 10TB of disk?
>
> Is there anyway to bypass this requirement and split fsck into smaller
> chunks? Being able to fsck my disk is kinda important.

Is it possible for you to break up the 10TB partitions into 4TB
partitions? If you could ccd those two 10TB RAIDs together into one 20TB
ccd'd "drive", then partition that "drive" into 5 4TB chunks, you could
get away with it knowing that an fsck would take a LONG time, and use up
to 3GB of memory.. in theory.

Eric