20TB Storage System

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Wed Sep 3 10:12:52 PDT 2003

Max Clark wrote:

>- What exactly is the fsck problem? What do I do about it?

fsck requires approximately 700k memory for each gigabyte of disk space.
I´m unfortunately not familiar enough with the issue how this splits out
for
blocks and inodes (for example if having only a million inodes on a 10TB fs
would make it tolerable) but taking the figure presented earlier, you would
need 7GB of memory for checking a 10TB filesystem. Having that kind
of memory for a single process neccessiates a 64bit system, like sparc64,
alpha, itanic or opteron.

Pete