Performance tests I did with FreeBSD, Linux and PostgreSQL

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Aug 27 06:53:24 PDT 2003

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:15:25 -0400
> Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
>
>>http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/postgresql.php
>
> You don't talk about integrity on this page.

Yes I do.  It's in the conclusion section.  It's not a major part of
that document because I didn't test integrity, therefore I have no
real conclusions beyond the fact that ext2 is not designed with
integrity in mind.

> You also present
> only the ufs sync and async numbers, but not the noasync (default)
> numbers, you should either present them or add a note why you don't
> present them.

You're right.  I'll correct this.

> About the "without debugging" description: did you really only remove
> INVARIANTS? If yes: you also need to remove WITNESS.

WITNESS is not enabled in the GENERIC kernel for 5.1-RELEASE, so there
was no need to disable it.

> I don't know if 5.1-RELEASE has malloc debugging enabled, but to be on
> the safe side you should maybe do a "ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf" before
> you start PostgreSQL.

I may look into that, but it seems like the more important thing to do
is test 4.8 at this point.

If you look at the times, these tests are time-consuming.  I probably
should have reduced the number of records involved, but if I do that
now, I have to rerun all the tests ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies